The production area of the DOC is the same as that of the DOCG. At least 80% of the grapes must be Vernaccia Nera di Serrapetrona. The remaining 20% may be black grape varieties that are suitable for cultivation in the Marches region. The wine is dry and easy drinking from the first year after the harvest.
When it is aged in wood, from the second year it becomes more velvety and spicy. The wine ages well in the bottle and may be kept for 3 – 5 years.